Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Final

My Junior year of e-Communications was riddled with many projects. I started from projects at which I was grouped with others to some all alone. One of my favorite was animations was Paper Boy. To end off this year I decided I should work together with the Paper Boy group again. So for the final project and for a project to continue to the next year, my senior year. This project was in dedication to one of my favorite games, Minecraft. To start off I started with making some models starting with the creeper. I sadly was not thinking about it and dissected the texture sheet and made the model with around 30 different textures. This could have been better if I only used the texture sheet with UV texturing on the model. Jake finally joins in and we start to make models quicker. I eventually got the idea of the UV texturing and started on changing our characters with it. After making most of the models including the world using a program called mineways we started on the story. I don't want to spoil the story since it is finished and most likely finalized so I will give a summary. If you don't want to see it go to the next spoiler marker.


Skin used for my Character Model. I use
 something close to this in actual Minecraft
>>SPOILER>> The story begins with Jake, Sam, and I in the real world. We say we will go meet each other on minecraft and run of scene. We enter the minecraft world. While in minecraft we explain to Sam what minecraft is. We try to get the audience to know the characters before going on 2 big adventures. One to the ender dragon and one with the wither. We meet only one character along the way and that is the baby ender dragon Ohm. Other parts of the story will be hidden until debut of the animation. (This is a big animation and will take a long time to make.)  <<SPOILER<< 

From going off of the story we are now preparing a few tiny bites for a final for the end of the year. Most of the modeling even is still a work in progress. As of right now I am working on a scene in a cave of the test world to see how everything is coming together. The two things I am trying to finalize before the end of the school year is the texturing for the torch as well as lighting for it too. I feel great potential in this and we may go too far out of our way. This is something that is most definitely a work in progress and something may even be scrapped but right now hopes are high with the new school year. Things I would love to fix or improve on this thought is that the textures for the blocks are a little low, the textures for most of the mobs in the animation, and making a few of the blocks I couldn't send over using mineways like doors, torches, buttons, pressure plates, and really anything else of that sort. I also need to go into minecraft and make all the scenes. Just guessing off the top of my head but I would guess around 20-30 scenes are needed. The time and length of the animation is yet unknown and I predict 4-10 minutes.

Now about how we are going to animate. It is still undecided wether we are going to rig the characters or are we going to rotate and translate like most animations. I think that rigging would look nicer and smoother but we will have to change most of the models. We have most of the blocks but I will most likely update the textures to be more high resolution. We might have pre-made cycles for things like walking, running, mining, and placing. We will use a studio room from the e-Com department to get the recordings for the voices. We will also use one of the video design departments cameras to get the intro scene to the animation (probably doing it in the halls). I feel as if this will be very good animation that would exceed what was Paper Boy. This will be much more work especially on my part since i am stage design and most of the models. I am the director, producer, main writer, and set-up. The things that Sam and Jake would be doing would be stuff like animating and possibly rigging. I will help animate too but I will have to do many other things in the process. Sam will probably be the lead animator. Jake will be left with doing all the edits. I will probably help him with at least 50% of it though like I always seem to do.

To be clear how the world is being made and how textures are used we use the program called mineways. Mineways is a program that will transfer a portion of a minecraft world from the level.dat file. Through this it also includes the textures for the blocks. There is many options for how to export it to Maya. I recommend to try looking at a few tutorials about it if you want to try it out. Will all of this I can make a Minecraft world in Minecraft which is quicker than it would be in Maya by far. By doing this it saves massive amounts of time with the process of the world. Sadly it has the originally minecraft textures. This is only bad because in maya the resolution gets a little 'loose'. By getting a higher quality default texture pack I can get the textures for Maya updated to something much more worthy of this animation. I still need to do a lot and I hope I can spread the news of the animation. Here is a test render picture of my character underground. This was used to see how well the lighting is for cave systems. This lighting will be improved as well as I will add a real texture to the torch. As said this is a huge work in progress and would love support for this. Thank you for looking at this and hope you are excited for the finish of this as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment